Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Transgender day of visibility

Apparently today is transgender day of visibility. I have a few thoughts.


  1. Visibility, much like "awareness" is never enough and not necessarily positive depending on how we do it. Knowing a group exists and hating/stigmatizing that group isn't strictly better than being unaware, and you could argue that it's worse.
  2. For people who can SAFELY be visible (or who CHOOSE any risks for themselves), being known/out can help with acceptance type stuff. Don't out people though, it's very much not your call if someone else can safely be out or if any risks are worth it for them.
  3. That said, I'm nonbinary (not a lady!) and so either everything is drag or nothing is. I'm going with everything. Thanks to a random and slightly silly conversation with a classmate for this one.
And yes, 1) and 2) apply just as well to the upcoming Autism Hullabaloo month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.