Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Ohio, Texas, and More: Constantly Pregnant at Home is Their Goal

Trigger Warning: Loss of bodily autonomy on a HUGE scale

Response to a current events post for my Gender and Women's Studies class, the articles she talked about are here and here. They're about abortion restrictions in Ohio.

I'm going to be cynical here, but I'm doing so because I think it's really this bad. I stayed up to watch Wendy Davis fillibuster in the Texas state senate (well, follow over Twitter because my internet wasn't up for streaming,) and I remember when Leticia Van De Putte asked "At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues?" (qtd in Reilly.) I watched them try to vote after midnight and change the time stamp. That's fraud, pure and simple. There has to be a strong reason for this sort of action, and for the restrictions you reference in Ohio. I think it is a continued attempt to remove Roe vs. Wade, where they will "rip the whole thing up, roll it back completely, and toss it in the dumpster (Cooney 313.) Like Cooney says, a society that criminalizes abortion is one that makes being female a crime, and that is what they are attempting. The reason? Control. It is known that those who are accustomed to privilege often view others getting those privileges or the loss of their own special treatment as oppression, and many seem to take women's rights in this way. Such men (and it is men doing that, primarily) hold that a woman's place is in the house, bearing children, and may be thinking about how difficult it is to have a career or run activism while constantly giving birth to, nursing, and raising children. Keeping those who can become pregnant constantly so if they are so bold as to enjoy sex is a rather effective way of making sure those who can become pregnant can not win, and the tendency for the same states which insist upon abstinence only sex-ed being the ones increasing abortion restriction so drastically supports the idea that this is really about keeping half the population constantly pregnant and criminalizing feminity.

Cooney, Elanor. "The Way It Was." 2004. Women's Voices, Feminist Visions: Classic and Contemporary Readings. By Susan M. Shaw and Janet Lee. 5th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2011. 312-319. Print.
Reilly, Mollie. "Leticia Van De Putte, Texas Legislator, Slams Male Colleagues During Abortion Filibuster." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 26 June 2013. Web. 07 July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.