Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Just Being Silly

Trigger Warning: murder mentioned in passing, very sarcastic statements of some pretty common autism stereotypes, sarcastically calling autism a zombie...

I met an Autistic friend of mine in meatspace.
While we were out, we met an adult who, among other things, thought that Autism and Asperger's were very different because she knew one person with each and they were very different, despite our explanation that they really weren't, including my usual factoid about the Australian study finding fully 50% of Asperger's and PDD-NOS diagnosed people to actually meet criteria for classic autism, at which point they really aren't that different, at least not as diagnosed. This is a conversation we had typing on my iPad (how stereotypically autistic, typing on an iPad instead of using oral speech... autism wasn't actually the reason, though, and neither of us are great with the iPad keyboard. I prefer physical keyboards, which is why I have one on the iPad I got for my graduation from math- just math, the other majors are two and a half years off yet, and the masters in math three years off.)
Sarcasm alert is in effect for basically the entire chat. We are very sarcastic despite our near-inability to detect sarcasm.
It is reproduced here with permission, but I am not to say who it was with. If you make guesses in the comments, said comments will be deleted, regardless of accuracy.

Me: Clueless much ?
Not Me: Just a taaaaaaad
Me (sarcasm): But autism and Aspergers are just so different! I know, I met one autistic and one person who had Aspergers once!
Not Me (still sarcasm): And it's such a hard diseeeeaaase for parents to deal with!!!!
Me: I know! Even though its not a disease and the reason it's hard is mostly that everyone is clueless. And also the fact that people aren't getting access to services that would actually help the autistic kid to navigate the world...
Not Me (sarcasm!): And I'm obviously soooooooo high-functioning!
Me (Yup, you guessed it- SARCASM, for the 1st half): Of course we are. We're out without any carers. That means we are super duper high functioning. Except... Nope. Neither of us has any executive functioning skills at all. It's hilarious, actually, how not stereotypically high functioning we are. Also how we are sitting next to each other typing at each other. That is so Autistic of us.
Not Me: LOLOL true. And I wrote stuff and go to college, so clearly I'm soooo hi-functioning and intelligent and omg inspirational and doing so welllllllll
Me (I had just failed to notice something off-chat): Hashtag# not paying attention. Of course not. I am hyperfocusing because AUTISM. Which is super scary, as you know.
Not Me: Scaaaaary!!!! It will EaT your children's braaaaaiiiins!!!it will leave only an empty husk!,!,!!
Me: Wait, autism is a zombie? You said it was gonna eat brains. Or are autistic people zombies? Or are autistic people the carriers of autism, which is a zombie?
Not Me: Yes.
Me: Um? Yes to what? I SAID THREE THINGS!
Not Me: That too.
Me: Very funny...
Not Me: :)
Me: :p
Not Me: Did you commit the murder with a gun or with a knife? Yes.
Me: That too.
Not Me: Are you alie or are you dead. Yes.
Me: That too. Because patterns!
Not Me: Paaaaaaaaaaaterns. Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaterns.
Me: So autism is a zombie that hungers for brains and turns Autistics into zombies who hunger for patterns?
Not Me: Yes! That too.


(The "Not Me" is highly amused by working my blog name into conversations.)

1 comment:

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.