Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving and Things to Write

Thanksgiving is one of the big family gatherings of the year, and it was, of course, tiring. Good, but tiring. It always is. My father made the usual chocolate pudding pie (so good!) and we had the usual throwing around of a football, though not a full game this year. People split off into other areas of the house, including to play Ping Pong (I did that, and it was fun. It was also a way to get away from the social interaction for a bit, since Ping Pong means I'm only dealing with the one person I am playing with, usually.)
Thanksgiving also comes with two days off classes, making a four day weekend. I'll be using that to get a bit ahead on homework and to have a queue here again, since I'm currently writing things and having them come up the next midnight. It means I need to remember to write every day, whereas I prefer to have enough stuff sitting that I can write a few when I think of them and spread them out, then write more when I think of more. I do average a bit more than a thing a day- it's just that I'm not really at a steady one thing a day.
I even know the next couple things I want to talk about, and those will probably get written sometime tomorrow. See, there is a congressional hearing about autism that doesn't have any autistic-run groups or autistic people represented, just parents (and some anti-vaccine/anti-science groups.) I want to talk about that and also to spread around the relevant petition.
In addition, there is a petition about transplant discrimination. The quick link about it has almost 2000 notes on Tumblr, but as I write this, the petition needs more than 22000 more signatures between now and December 14th, 2012 in order to get a response from the White House. Getting the issue addressed by them would be a good step, since transplant discrimination against people with disabilities is a big issue, still. (Cognitive/intellectual disabilities were considered a contraindication until the 90s, and there are still cases of discrimination going on here.) That's the other thing I want to talk about and spread around. (And please, please. SPREAD THAT PETITION. Yes, you need to make an account and live in the USA to sign it. Yes, it's free. Yes, lives are at stake. Sign that thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.